Tuesday 8 February 2011

Do you ever want to be ill alone…?

As a general rule I don’t.  Of course there are exceptions, when you’re in a state and you don’t want people to see you looking like an extra from Shaun of the Dead.  ‘People’ usually includes anyone you fancy but not people who already love you and long term beloved friends.

Recently I’ve been sick.  No let me rephrase that, I’ve been SICK!  In fact I’m still sick.  For the second time in my life, I’ve got the flu.  Not the type where people stagger into work and pretend they have flu, but are so dedicated they’ve come in anyway (that’s a cold) – the type where you couldn’t get yourself out of bed and dressed if your life depended upon it.  Real flu.  The type where you think you’re going to die but you’re just to sick to care…

Fortunately some of my ‘beloved friends’ came over to visit the horrifying apparition I’ve turned into and make sure I have supplies such as soup and tissues.  I can not stress the importance of the tissues enough.  But these friends have lives of their own and can’t be here 24 hours a day. 

Enter the beasts…

FireThose musical hot water bottles that never go cold have obviously worked out a rota to ensure I’m never alone.

Whenever I wake up(usually from a coughing fit) one of the cats will be there next to me.  When I stagger downstairs to the bathroom I’m accompanied by a dog.  Flops on the sofa, usually because I can’t face the stairs back to bed, involved them all piling on top to form a living fur blanket.

Fortunately I am recovering (if slowly) but even when I was too ill to knit, or care if I was dying, I wasn’t too ill to appreciate a warm furry body next to me, subtly reminding me that I’m not alone…

No comments:

Post a Comment