Sunday 31 October 2010

You have to look for the silver lining...

I'm a great believer of looking for the silver lining.  It's not something I'm always good at looking for or finding.....  but life does tend to be a lot happier if you can find it.  So on Thursday morning after a horrid journey to Cambridge to drop my mam off for her coach home, I was in need of finding a little tiny silver lining.  Not a huge earth shattering one, just a nice little one to stop that sinking feeling that everything I touch that day will go wrong.

So on the way home along the A14 I took the advice of a friend and called into The Yarn Gallery which is just north of Bury St Edmunds.  I wasn't sure what I'd find but I knew a yarn fix would definitely brighten my day.

I'm glad I went......  By this point I had been up for almost 5 hours with no tea!  I don't do well without tea.  So when one of the first things they said to me was 'Would you like a cuppa tea?' I knew my day had taken a turn for the better.

It was a wonderful little place with lots of wonderful yarns to fondle and a variety of other things to dribble over.  Yup I spent money, well really, you didn't seriously think I wouldn't did you?

Rope - 70% Meriono, 20% Alpaca 10% Silk
This is called Rope and it'a a chunky which the label says to knit on 10mm needles.  I bought two skeins of this (65m each) which should be enough for a lovely hat or a scarf or something.  Something warm for the winter at any rate. 


I'm not entirely sure what this yarn was called but it's a Nylon Microfibre.  Normally I wouldn't go for something like this but it has the most amazing feel and there were some beautiful pieces of knitting on display which incorporated it.  I chose a colourway to match the Rope yarn as I'm thinking about combining them.



I also found a couple of skeins of a now discontinued yarn lurking in a corner.  Fab colours and again I feel they are destined for something warm for winter.  I'm not sure what yet but I'm sure they won't be in the stash for long hehe



The yarn was yummy but what really put a smile on my face was finding wooden dpn's in various diameters and lengths.  I bought loads... about 8 packs actually....  Cough cough..... Well they were a good price and I need them.....  I do honest!  You're not buying it are you?

So what am I going to do with all these dpn's?  Hmmm...  hats.... toys..... and first up is a Tea Cozy...



I love my tea pot.  It fits into my kitchen wonderfully but it's metal.  As such it doesn't keep my tea very warm for long.  Now what is the point of that I ask you.  I have smaller ceramic ones but this is the only one that will do a big brew.  So tea cozys it is.  The yarn is Araucania which I bought at Ally Pally.  Unfortunately the photo doesn't show it off well as there is a lot more green in there.

I've done a picot hem but I've not quite decided that the top will be like.  However one thing I am sure of is that it will help keep my tea warm as the weather becomes colder.

Hmmmm speaking or tea - time to put the kettle on........

No comments:

Post a Comment