Sunday 17 October 2010

The Best Laid Plans of Beast and Man

Well after a hectic week I had mentally slated today (Sunday) to be a day of pottering around the cottage, knitting and relaxing before the work begins all over again.  But surprise surprise it's not gone quite to plan.  To start with I've not been feeling well.  I've not been feeling well all week if truth be told, but given the number of people I know who have had full blown colds and man-flu I can't really complain about a persistent headache and a bit of sneezing.

So yesterday morning after the beasts got me up early I decided to finish off the scarf I've been working on.  This is made out of a beautiful 100g ball of Manos Del Uruguay Silk Blend which was a birthday present from a friend.  It came with the instructions to knit something nice for myself from it.  The colours are beautiful blues and greens that remind me of the sea.  A couple of years ago I took some photos looking down to the sea from the cliffs near where I grew up in the North East of England.  I remember at the time standing there and wondering why we never appreciate the beauty of where we live while we live there.  The colours of the waters below me looked displaced.  Not the sort of palette you would expect from the north coast of England, more a tropical lagoon.  Casting on I wondered about the stitch to use, eventually deciding on a very simple stitch which is mainly plain knitting which would allow me an easy knit which I could easily do while tired on the sofa.





So Saturday morning I finished off the last few rows and the ends were sown in.  I picked up my beautiful soft, silky scarf and realised I had nothing at all to wear it with.......  I wore it anyway when heading into town for lunch with my friend Maytheweed although I'm not sure a black fleece coat was the best partner to show it off.....

While in town I bought some bamboo 5mm dpn's to start my next project.  Many months ago I say the beautiful toy elephant Elijah by Ysolda on Ravelry and fell in love with him.  Last week at Ally Pally I bought some variegated blue/white silk yarn and the idea just took hold.  So I quickly did a swatch to check the size of needles I would need and added them to my shopping list. This morning I sorted out the pattern and cast on.  This would be the point where the plan starts to look a little less inspiring.  I was quickly working my way down the head piece and decided that a cuppa tea was in order.  While making this, Jake the dog started to give me the puppy dog look through the door which leads to the conservatory so I opened it to allow him and his manic friend Pebbles into the main part of the cottage.  As usual this involved Pebbles heading straight to the cats food bowls (we you never know what you might find) and Jake jumping up and down in the air like an idiot in front of me to ensure he gets my attention......

And this is where the plan all went wrong again.....

Remember the plan?  A nice relaxing day?  I'm not sure what Jake did but one second he's jumping up and down like a loon and the next he's squealing in pain and refusing to put his back right leg on the floor.  My best guess is that he landed awkwardly from one of his bounces and hurt himself.  The noise was horrible...... Pebbles went mad trying to work out what was going on and I couldn't get near his foot to check it as this placed my head (remember the headache) right next to his head which was still emitting the VERY loud squeals of pain.

Anyway long story short......  Jake is now curled up by me feet and there doesn't appear to be any breaks or anything like that in his leg.  He's still not walking on it but he's no longer crying in pain and has allowed me to check it over.  I'm going to give him a while to have a nap and calm himself down before deciding if we need to disturb the vet.  As for my Elijah?  Well I've decided that the swatch may have lied as it seems to be knitting up much looser than I wanted.......


Hmmmm so decisions decisions, do I keep going?  Frog and restart?  If I frog how do I alter it?  Smaller dpn's or knit on these but double the yarn.....  Oh the best laid plans.....

1 comment:

  1. Aww poor Jakey :)

    The scarf was gorgeous. It's nice to hear the story behind the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete